Friday 16 December 2011

Australian Warbler, Hoary-headed Grebe, Australasian Grebe, and Yellow-billed Spoonbill

Its been a little while since I posted, however we have been just as busy birdwatching as usual!
Two different locations feature in this post, but I have only selected the more interesting birds to write about from the many locations visited since my last post.
Australasian Grebe at Heyfield Wetlands
Posted by Picasa
Australasian Grebe at Heyfield Wetlands
Posted by Picasa
Yellow-billed Spoonbill at Heyfield Wetlands
Last weekend we had planned to visit the Heyfield wetlands but the weather was just too hot, so we ended up visiting a few days later when it had cooled down, in the late afternoon. It was great to see a Yellow-billed Spoonbill and two Australasian Grebes in addition to the usual birds observed there.
Posted by Picasa
Yellow-billed Spoonbill at Heyfield Wetlands
Posted by Picasa
Hoary-headed Grebe at Glengarry
Posted by Picasa
Another spot I discovered recently closer to home is a large lake in Glengarry on Glengarry North Road. Heading North the lake is on the left and directly opposite on the other side of the road there is a swamp with a large reed bed in it. The reeds on either side of the road are alive with the song of Reed Warblers, while on the lake many different species of water birds can be observed. The lake is large enough that breeding birds can hide and nest on the far side, and far enough that binoculars are needed in order to observe the large variety of species present. Even with binoculars, I couldn't say for certain that I identified all the duck species there, some were too far out of range and as they were breeding I did not wish to disturb them by approaching any closer than the roadside.
Posted by Picasa
Hardheads, Pacific Blacks, Eurasian Coots, Chestnut Teals, Black Swans, Australasian and Hoary-headed Grebes at Glengarry
Posted by Picasa
Australian Reed Warbler at Glengarry
Posted by Picasa
Posted by Picasa
Australian Reed Warbler at Glengarry
Posted by Picasa
Hoary-headed Grebe at Glengarry
Posted by Picasa
Australasian Grebe in breeding plumes at Glengarry
Posted by Picasa
short clip to hear the call of the Australian Reed Warbler, location: Glengarry


This location is remote enough that the birds present are very shy, and are clearly not used to the presence or prying eyes of humans, but close enough in driving distance that it's just a short trip to reach it. We have only ever stayed at most for ten minutes at a time to maintain the safety the birds breeding there obviously feel. A further five minutes drive North and you are at the foothills of the Great Dividing Ranges and dense forest.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    I'm glad I now know about your blog. Birdwatching is one of my favourite pastimes, and my husband is into photographing birds. I am more inclined to photograph fungi or wildflowers, or bugs or frogs - birds are too quick for me.

    I've been birdwatching in the Macquarie Marshes in northwestern NSW today and I saw two species that I haven't identified previously: the Swamp Harrier and the Banded Lapwing.

    Cheers,
    Gaye

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis